Sunday, September 8, 2013

DIY Pallet Bulletin Board























As you know, I'm always trying to make something new out of pallets.  Here is one of my latest creations using pallet boards and salvaged wood.  I love combining different types of wood, sanding each board, and then seeing what new life they take on.  I made two bulletin boards and have listed this one in my Etsy shop. You can see that listing here.  I'm keeping the other one for myself and will use it to display Christmas cards we receive.



The three boards that are the base are from two different pallets.  I like to mix up the boards so the grain isn't uniform.  The two horizontal braces are from a salvaged fence board.  It was split and instead of evening it out by sanding, I just left it a bit uneven.  I like the bit of curve the two pieces have. I sanded all the boards with my palm sander and then screwed them together from the back of the three baseboards.  I drilled four holes and threaded black jute twine across the entire piece in two different locations.  The twine is very taut, allowing note cards, letters and memos to be placed behind it.  The horizontal boards on the front act as a ledge to keep the items from falling through.

The entire piece is protected with Minwax Low VOC Wood Finish in Natural. (The can below is an image of a different stain color, but is shows the V.O.C. compliant label.)

I have to admit, I'm starting to run out of design ideas using pallets.  I have some large pieces of furniture I want to try to make, but I need more small home decor design ideas.  I'll be working on a tray this week, but after that, I'm not sure.

I'd love to hear your ideas or see your own creations.  Please send me a link to your posts and sites.  I'll feature them in an upcoming post with links back to yours, with your permission of course.  I look forward to hearing from you!

~ Alison

This post is linked up to the following:
My Turn For Us