Sunday, August 11, 2013

Thift Store Table Facelift




I love searching for treasures in thrift stores. There are stores here in San Diego that have become my favorites. I found this lovely little table while visiting one of them.   I brought it home and stored it in the garage, not knowing quite what to do with it. It kept me company in the garage for a few months as I worked on other projects. Finally, after I had finished making creations out of all the wood planks that were stored on top of it, I decided to give the sweet little table it's well deserved face lift.


As you can see in the pictures above, the table was in pretty rough condition.  I think someone else had also stored it in their garage or workshop because the beautiful wood finished top was marred and scratched. There were also large patches of paint splatter all over one side and on the beautifully turned legs.   I decided to paint the leg and apron with a homemade version of chalk paint in an off-white color.  I sanded and re-finished, in a rustic sort of way, the top.  I re-stained it with Minwax Dark Walnut Polyshade.  It's the same stain that I used on the pallet wine rack I made last week.  You can see that post here.

After I painted using the chalk-style paint, I sanded and distressed areas that would normally show wear and tear.  I finished off the entire table with my favorite wax, Howard Feed-n-Wax.  It adds a perfect matte sheen and also protects all the hard work that goes into the job.  I tried to zoom in on the distressed edges to give you an idea of how it looks.  The pictures just don't do it justice.  My husband is trying to get me to sell it, but I just can't part with it.  It's now in my work room holding some of my finished projects and favorite design and how-to books.

I hope you like the table and are inspired to try a re-finish of your own.  Please let me know if you tackle any projects you've been putting off.....I'm so glad I did!

~ Alison

This post is linked up to the following:
Liz Marie Blog
Trendy Treehouse Blog
My RePurposed Life
Miss Mustard Seed
The Common Ground
My Turn for Us
The Boogie Board Cottage
Homemaker on a Dime
Home Stories A to Z
So Much Better With Age
Nifty Thrifty Things
Start at Home