Tuesday, August 6, 2013

More Pallet Love


















I finally finished the wine rack (or book shelf, picture display, or planter....) I was working on.  As you know, if you've read my blog before, I love pallets!  I love to create interesting, useful things from pallets and I try to sneak them in the garage when my hubby isn't watching.

The picture above is of my latest pallet creation.  I will probably use it as a wine rack, or maybe give it to a friend.  It is my first attempt at working with portions of pallets still intact.  I usually just take them apart and use the boards, or use them for storage in the garage as I did in this post from April or in the picture below.


The entire process was fun...start to finish!  As I've mentioned before, I love sanding, and boy do you have to sand a pallet.  I start off using 50 grit sanding pads and then transition up to 150 grit.  I try to leave the pallets as rustic as possible without danger of splinters.  I then stained the pallet with Minwax Mission Oak Polyshade.

Minwax 1-qt. PolyShades Mission Oak Satin Stain and Polyurethane in 1 Step

I finished off the entire piece with Howard Feed-n-Wax.  I get both products at my local Home Depot.

Howard Feed-N-Wax 16 fl.-oz. Wood Polish and Conditioner

I love the finish the wax gives the final product.  I use this stuff on everything ~ it is my favorite finishing wax!
I've put a collage together of some shots of the entire process.  If you have any questions, please leave a comment below and I'll get right back to you.  I promise to post a picture as soon as I have the rack in use.

Have a great week, everyone!