Monday, April 22, 2013

Giant Asparagus or Agave Americana?


I took this picture of our alien-like, asparagus-looking plant while standing on our front stoop.  Can you see the shoot that is "shooting" straight out of the agave?  It's quite a sight actually.  We can't decide whether to be proud of this once in a century occurrence or embarrassed.  I'm sure we're the talk of the neighborhood.  Just last week, the taller of the two shoots seen here was the size of the shorter one.  Yes, it has grown that much in just one week.  So how much taller is this asparagus looking being going to grow, you ask?  According to my research into the wee hours of the morning, our special, once in a lifetime (sometimes called good luck charm) flowers from the Agave Americana can grow to a height of 40 feet each!  Imagine our surprise when we discovered this wasn't some sort of anomaly that I wanted to take the hacksaw to, but a very rare and special flowering showpiece.  I guess I'll have to put the hacksaw back in the garage.

I've posted more pictures below so you can get a better look at our special plants.  Actually, now that I know what I do, they're starting to grown on me.  We have gone from being embarrassed to be seen out front, to waving to our neighbors as they drive and walk by while pointing proudly to our beautiful flowering agave.
                                                                                                       

      
  
  
I found a great website at the link below that describes this beautiful plant.  It's hard to believe that our plants in our small front yard, may look like the majestic flowering (it really looks like a tree) agave below.

Read more about the Agave Americana at the link above.

I'll try my best to keep you posted on the development of our majestic Agave Americanas.  At the rate of five to six inches of growth per day, it won't be long 'til they reach the stars!

Have a wonderful day,

~ Alison