Monday, June 25, 2012

Two Weeks to Go ~ an Update

It seems that the past week has flown by.  I do believe I have had a very productive week, but when I look around at everything that needs to be done, I feel like I should have had an even more productive one.

Let me see....yes indeed ~ I did get a lot of things checked off my "to-do" list.  Hooray!  Here are a few pictures taken as the week rolled by.

My New Storage Haven



Here is the closet I transformed into my storage "haven" as I now call it.  Did you know that builders don't make all closets square?  I learned this when I tried to install my perfectly squared boards as shelves.  Oh well, a lesson learned in an inconspicuous spot.

Shelves installed and level!   Happy me:)

Childhood Dinner Table Becomes Point of Origin for Creations 

After the Storage Haven was complete, I moved onto my new workstation.  My parents were given a wonderful dining room table with six chairs when they were married in 1957.  Sadly, the veneered finish had been badly damaged and the table was really too far gone to refinish.  I promised myself years ago that I would never paint family heirlooms.  I love the patina the old, wonderful pieces have.  However, I did make an exception this time.  In order to get the pieces to be uniform and for the table to have a level, smooth surface, I had to paint it.  I used a recipe for a variation of a chalk-style paint I found online at Liz Marie Blog.  I loved it!  There was no need to prime the surfaces beforehand and the finished product allows you to distress some points of the items and then wax over them with a finishing wax.  I used Minwax Finishing Wax.  So, here's the before and after.  What do you think? Please let me know if you have any questions about the use of this recipe or if you have tried it yourself.







Now my workstation and storage haven are complete.  On to make more creations for the opening day of my Etsy shop.  Don't forget to stop by July 8th!  Keep an eye out here for a sneak preview.....coming soon.

Have a great day!