Monday, August 19, 2013

DIY Jewelry Organizer ~ Yes, I Used Pallets!

I thought I would share one of my latest creations using salvaged boards.  The jewelry organizer above is made from two pallet boards and two old fence boards.  They were attached to each other with 1" wood screws.  I added cup hooks and a wooden dowel to finish off the construction.  The boards are finished with Minwax Mission Oak stain followed by my trusty old favorite, Howard Feed n Wax.  There's a saw tooth hanger on the back for easy hanging.

I love using these salvaged boards and watching them transform into something useful...and beautiful.  I was afraid the stain I was using would be too dark, but when jewelry is displayed on the boards, the color seems just fine.  I think I will try another version with a lighter, or natural stain and see how that looks.

The best part of making useful storage items, is giving them a double purpose.  This same piece could be used in a kitchen, bathroom, or craft room.  Check out the picture below to see another use.



I'll probably list this creation in my Etsy shop, but I can't wait to make one for myself and my daughter as well.  Who knows, every gal on my Christmas list may get one this year!  I just love making these and don't see myself stopping any time soon!

Have a great week, and please let me know what you think about this latest creation...and what you've been up to as well.

~ Alison

This post is linked up to the following: