Saturday, July 7, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad!


Today, July 8th,  would have been my father's 84th birthday.  I chose this date as the "Grand Opening" of my Etsy shop to honor him and his creativity.  My father was the most creative person I've ever known.  His ability to take a simple piece of wood, clay, fabric....you name the material, and turn it into a work of art amazed me and everyone who came in contact with him.  I am thankful for all he taught me and for the lessons I learned as I watched him at work.

This day has been looming on the horizon for us all here at my house.  I've been supported by my husband and kiddos and I thank them so very much!  Even our oldest, who isn't at home this summer due to the fact he is now a grown up with a grown up job, is on standby in San Francisco awaiting the Grand Opening call.  We'll all be Skyping at 12:00 midnight to celebrate the opening of the shop.

I would like to thank my parents for giving me that adventurous spirit (although it has been lying latent for the last 20 years or so as I gathered the courage to venture into the unknown of an entrepreneur).  I would like to thank my children for helping whenever I needed the help.  They took over the running of the household over the past few weeks as I was buried in wooden planks, stretched canvases and paints and inks.  And, I would like to thank my wonderful husband for being my biggest supporter.  He has more confidence in my ability than I could ever be.  He gives me the little bit of extra encouragement I need when I'm getting tired and frustrated and revert back to the old Alison of thinking I'm taking on too much.  Without his support, I wouldn't have the courage to push on with Hartley Rowe.

I'm sharing a picture of my parents.  This was taken when they were newlyweds and building their first house together.  My mother's eye for design and my father's ability to create works of art are the driving force behind Hartley Rowe, named for my  mother, Mary Jane Rowe and my father, Jack Hartley.   I miss them both desperately, but am so thankful I was raised by two beautiful people who saw the world as their canvas.



Please let me know what you think about the blog and about the Etsy Shop.  I'd love to hear any suggestions you may have.  Thank you for supporting this blog and me.  My friends mean the world to me!

At midnight tonight, click on the link for my Etsy Shop Hartley Rowe and have fun looking around.

Take care, Everyone!