Monday, July 7, 2014

From Fence Board to Jewelry Organizer


I've taken a break from creating from pallets because I stumbled upon a stack of great salvaged fence boards at our local lumber yard.  I love these because they are a bit wider than a board from a recycled pallet.  Don't get me wrong, I still love working with pallets, but I thought a shift from my usual source of recycled lumber may be fun.
I created two of these jewelry holders for my Etsy Shop.  They each have a tiny chalk board at the top. In the picture at the top, I have written "Jewelry" on the board.  You can see in the picture below, I changed the word to "Home".  I think this piece would be a great key holder as well.  Actually there are lots of uses for these organizers and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to make one for myself as well.



I love how with fence boards, just like with pallets, no two boards are alike.  They even have imperfections, like the curve of the one here, that add to their charge.  I loaded this guy down with jewelry and keys just to make sure the curve wouldn't be an issue...and it wasn't!  I also used cup hooks that I had spray painted black along with wooded dowels that were recycled from an old drying rack, also spray painted.  I left the boards in their natural state as far as their color goes and finished them off with Howard's Feed-n-Wax.

I love finding new uses for these beautiful recycled boards.  With summer time in full swing, I hope to be creating more and more!  I hope you've all been finding extra time to work on projects as well.  Keep an eye out for a pile of fence boards or pallets...you never know what they can become!

~ Alison