Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Katie's Jewelry Holder

My daughter moved into her new apartment this month.  This will be her last college apartment as she is finishing her studies this year.  Whenever our grown children move into a new apartment or home, I try to make something for them.  Here's a picture of a stretched canvas I used to create a piece of wall art that can also be used as a necklace holder.  The "K" is for Katie!




Below you can see the materials I used to complete the project.  I found a piece of decorative/scrapbook paper at Michael's that suited Katie's decor (and personality:).  I used ModPodge to adhere it to the canvas and then painted and distressed the edges and the letter "K" with brown acrylic paint.  While it was drying, I painted some cup hooks to match the edges.  You can see how I put the cup hooks onto wine corks to make it easier to paint them.  They will need several coats of paint ~ it's hard to prime a cup hook!


Wine corks come in handy for lots of projects!
   


So, there you have it!  I hope this gives you some ideas of what can be created using pre-made stretched canvases from Michaels, or any other craft and art supply store.  Be sure to buy them in packs of 10 and use a 40% off coupon.  They're a steal at $12.00 for the pack.

Oh, and Katie loved it.  It's already in use in her new bedroom.  She's all grown up folks, but I'll always be making things for my little Katie Bug:)

~ Alison

This post is linked up to the following blogs: