Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The Surprise Revealed!

As promised, here's a picture of the surprise I created for my son for his birthday. It took me a little longer to post this picture because the postal system didn't deliver the package on time ~ and I didn't want to spoil the surprise with a picture (my son actually reads my blog:). I rushed to include some homemade snicker doodles and to send them via next day express....four days later, stale cookies included, he finally received his present.


The two pictures my son is holding above are of two state flags. One is from South Carolina, my son's birthplace, and the other is California's state flag. My son is proud of his Southern roots, while loving the fact that he is now a Californian. We moved here when he was 16 and he has fallen in love with the Golden State, now living and working in San Francisco.

I made the stretched canvas transfers by printing my creations of vintage flags on fabric in black and white and then adhering them to the stretched canvases with Mod Podge. I used the flags' colors to paint the borders. You can see the paint colors in my previous post here.  I love doing these transfers and even have some featured in my Etsy shop, Hartley Rowe. Please let me know if you have any questions about how I make them or would like to see more.

I hope my son likes his new creations. He has quite a collection of Mom-creations. I can't wait to add more.....

~ Alison